God damn I must have spent pretty much all of today trying to get the damn Polycom
Viewstation SP 384 working on ISDN. Initially I went to double check the serial number of the device and also help Norman out as he plugged it in and all it seemed to do was just restart. OK so no big problems there for the supposed video conferencing guru. It took a few minutes to change a few options here and there so it would stop resetting itself. I put in the various ISDN numbers and changed the switch protocol to one for use in Europe.
OK so far so good....then lets call someone, so we called Paul down in Tremough and that's where our problems started. For some bizarre reason it wouldn't connect at more than 128k speeds. We tried a few different numbers just to make sure it wasn't our unit that was at fault such as the Duckcam and Crossmead. Both calls worked fine, but that was due to them being 128k sites, what we needed was a test site at 384k. Finally dug out the number for the UKERNA
test site and it worked a treat. Therefore it's not a problem at our site, or so I thought. I got Paul to try it and he successfully managed to call at 384k. Bizarre.
Time to go back to the office and think about a few things and also send an email to the boss telling him the serial number which he wanted a few days ago. Doh think my memory must be going.....
During my lunch break I had a few minutes to talk to the ex girlfriend about various things. I think she wanted to know why I wanted to go back to Shanghai, which I tried to explain in the best possible way. The conversation went pretty good and I certainly was quite happy with it. Though sadly I couldn't talk for so long as I needed to grab something to eat. I went to the Ram for a quick snack + latte and before I knew it was over just as Kellie arrived.
I was back trying to fix the ISDN problem. Think I tried everything possible to get it working and eventually found out the numbers of each of the ISDN outlets by getting the Polycom to ring my mobile (Thanks Martin!). I managed to talk Eleanor in helping me test the system by connecting from the Innovation Centre
. After numerous calls the best she could do was connect to me using ISDN4, even though I could connect to her using ISDN6.
I've come to the conclusion it's got to be something to do with the line number ordering. What a shambles....but at least I've made some progress.